Pages

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Hitting the trail again.....

We'd good weather for Saturday's run....(Click to enlarge)
      After a fifteen day lay-off I managed to hit the trail again last Saturday but was far from firing on all cylinders. I'd opted for a short 4 mile run with my wonderful partner, keeping low level so as not to put undue strain on offending muscles. Apart from a slight pull in my Rt calf, which subsided before I got home, all went well and we'd a delightful run as far as Woodhouse farm and back along the riverbank where a kingfisher flashed by in the sunshine. I stretched and used the 'Stick' on calves, hamstrings and quads: the animal was happy. Until Sunday morning. As day dawned, just about every muscle in my body felt to be overflowing with lactic acid. You've heard the expression 'stiff as a board', I was a living example of it.

      I had to get out of bed because I needed the loo, but quite a lot of 'ouch's' were uttered as I shuffled
....so all smiles
along the landing and finally made it. For a short time, the ouches changed to aaahhhs. Then I'd to negotiate the stairs because it's my job to make breakfast, but it was a slow process that incurred quite a few more 'oohs and ouches' as I forced my rickety bones downwards with very little help from gravity. (My wonderful partner attends to the stove, riddling it, feeding it and emptying the ashes, because I've some difficulty bending down at that early hour!). Then I'd to get back upstairs to change into Sunday clothes ready for the morning service, a Methodist Covenant service at which I'd been asked to read the lesson, so I couldn't very well get out of it. Thankfully, by the time I'd walked the 300m along to the Chapel I was beginning to loosen up and my 'banana back' had almost straightened. If there was any consolation, my voice was in fine fettle.....

Flying along the riverbank, trying to keep warm, on Monday
      Lots of sunshine was forecast for Monday so I opted to stay in the Dales and do a longer run - 6 miles, again avoiding hills as much as I could. Huh, I waited well into the afternoon but the promised sunshine never arrived. It was overcast with an arctic blast that brought the wind-chill factor to around freezing point as I set off along the village street to run the Appletreewick circuit. Oh, I thought, I'll just have to run faster, but it wasn't that easy against the force of the wind. Even in gloves my hands were frozen and I was beginning to experience that 'block of ice' feeling in the chest with all the cold air being breathed in. Strangely, my bare legs felt quite warm! It was a huge relief to step back into a warm kitchen for my warm-down stretches. To be honest it wasn't such an enjoyable run at all, but I was glad I'd done it. How can you appreciate all the good days if you don't have mediocre ones to compare them with? The late Mal Duff had another way of putting it - "Good days are earned by all the crap ones".  Yeah, I know what you mean Mal.....

14 comments:

  1. You look quite happy to be out there running again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm never happier than when I'm running Marion, but my decrepit old body doesn't always want to play the game. Maybe I should do more weight training?

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you back in the 'land of the runners' enjoy 😃
    IanB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too Ian. I've heard for every two weeks off it takes four to get fitness back again, possibly longer for older people. Next time I might just take more Ibuprofen and carry on regardless...
      Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Pleased to hear you have been back out running ...... but ease yourself in gently may be a good policy?

    Scenery looks absolutely wonderful - it is a joy to be outside sometimes ..... but also nice to get back in and warm up with a brew - tea or something a little stronger.

    Have a good week

    All the best Jan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scenery isn't wonderful today Jan, just a grey smurr of rain as far as the eye can see, and a vicious cold wind that blew all the bird food away. I've turned the central heating back on!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Maybe you should have squeezed in a second run before you stiffened up, you know they say: Avoid a hangover stay drunk! it works with running as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A second run? Never thought of that Coach. Thought 4 miles was about right after a 15 day lay-off. Anyway, the stiffness has gone now - but the weather has turned nasty. Can't win!

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you back sir doing what you love.

    After the Winter Tanners 30 mile run a few weeks my legs felt very stiff and awkward but the easy runs helped loosen the body up. I think I put the body into a bit of a shock after coming back from injury.

    If you fancy a read sir take a peek here - http://richardultra.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/tanners-30.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good read Rich, and congratulations on your excellent time. 30 miles is a bit far for me. Been thinking about running the Trollers Trot on March 7th, or rather half of it. It's a smashing LDWA event we've run before. Reckon I can still manage 12 miles but not the full 25.
      Keep on running.....

      Delete
  6. Pleased to read that you're back running! I was laughing and commiserating with you on the aches and pains front though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I'm like that EVERY morning, it takes ages to loosen up. Could do with some grease nipples over relevant joints! You'll come to it in another 30 years!
      All the best to you in beautiful Scotland...

      Delete
  7. So glad that you're up and running again. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I Karien, it must be nice living in Africa. It's blowing a blizzard here at the moment but the kids are enjoying it, out with their sledges....
      Take care.

      Delete