Pages

Sunday 30 October 2011

The colours of autumn

As there's nothing running related to write about at the moment, and inspired by Bex, I've decided to release one of my poems into the great Blogosphere. It's called Morning mist:

From eiderdown dreams
Into tingling November
Burning bush
I slippered across to the window,
My morning ritual,
The unveiling of another masterpiece.
Strangely, nothing was there. Outside
The day was a blank page
Teetering on an easel of ivied wall.

I watched, waiting, and soon
The great artist working from the top
Swept his loaded brush across the emptiness
And with a wash of palest ultramarine
Created the sky.
A terrace of distant houses, eyes blazing
Crimson lakes of fire, hung
Autumn sunrise
Suspended in space
Whilst over there a barn
Trailing its charcoal shadow
Was a meteor defying gravity.

A leafless hedge pocked with berries
Snaked from its cotton-wool cave
To lasso a meadow of green mist
Where a blur of burnt sienna
I'd swear had moved was, of a sudden,
A steaming thoroughbred.
A tangled briar scrawled its signature
Of authenticity and in minutes
Morning mist
The canvas was complete, and lit
With glorious gamboge light.
A miracle.

Turning aside I concerned myself
With more mundane matters
Of toast and porridge.
Impressed?  Of course, but knowing too
That in the hours to come
This bright day
Like all the other days
Would self-destruct and vanish
Irretrievably
Into lamp-black
Oblivion.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, just beautiful. Makes me feel like I was there.

    Sorry to hear you're out of running action again - temporarily. Hope you make a speedy recovery and looking forwrd to hearing more of your exploits.

    Why not book a wanderlust journey while you recuperate??

    Bex x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good, and what beautiful photos. Hope you are recovering well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent! Loved it... give us more...

    ReplyDelete