Monday 2 November 2015

On the mend........

Well, I'm 'sort of' back running inasmuch as I managed almost 5 miles round Grimwith reservoir on Saturday.
Starting our run round Grimwith reservoir    (Click to enlarge pictures)
 The local shoot were out in force, some quite close to the path, but we managed to run the gauntlet with no mis-haps from stray shot or falling pheasants.Thousands of birds are reared annually on the Grimwith estate specifically for the fun of blasting them out of the sky when they're fully grown.  A pair of peregrine falcons that nest locally must feed quite well off them too and a feral ferret we once saw was the fattest we'd ever seen.
Easy running on the wheelchair path
We'd been tempted to run there by an article in the Craven Herald, a local newspaper, which said the rough track at the far side of the reservoir, over a narrow bridge followed by a steep, muddy climb, has now been bypassed and made suitable for wheelchairs. This had to be investigated in case we should ever find ourselves in need of such a commodity. Well, with more than one and a half centuries between the two of us, who knows?
Thatched building at Grimwith where kestrels nested
It was a glorious day for running, not too warm with the gentlest of breezes ruffling the water and keeping us cool. Only distraction was the constant sound of gunfire which one couple found rather intimidating, so turned back. Or maybe it was their dog that got frightened. We ran past, through the collection of vehicles that resembled Tesco's car park, stopping only once to photograph one proud hunter's trophies displayed over the sides of his pick-up truck.
A good day's shoot - if you're into such things
Being the first run for three weeks I kept to a very easy pace, but with 10 - 12 short bursts of around 6min/mile pace to hopefully raise my cruising threshold to something like it used to be.  All went well and a crispy bacon sandwich, by way of a reward, never tasted better..
A misty Sunday morning in Hebden
We awoke to thick mist on Sunday morning but it thinned as we ate breakfast, then gave way to a cloudless sky by morning coffee time. Autumn colours around the village never looked more spectacular, as if that great artist in the sky had somewhat gone a bit mad with the saturation levels.
Our pleasant Sunday stroll
After Saturday's run my geriatric bones were feeling a bit stiff so wisely, I think, opted to take them for a walk instead. We parked and locked the car on Skirethorns Lane before striking upwards in the direction of Malham Moor.
Waterfall in Threshfield quarry
A waterfall we'd never seen before ran prisms of rainbow light through the autumn foliage invoking the first of many photo shoots along the 5 mile circuit.
Path round the rim of the vast disused quarry
Our path steepened round the lip of the quarry where tiny little pink flowers kept a low profile among the limestone clints.
Rest stop to view the tints
We passed through a gate at the head of the quarry and turned left to follow a drystone wall even more steeply towards Malham Moor. The sun blazed down and the temperature rose into the low 70's, the highest ever recorded in Britain in November. Had we known it was going to be so hot we'd have dressed accordingly, in shorts and T-shirts, rather than tracksters and thermal tops. We envied a lady runner in more sensible attire crossing the moor with her dog.
Runner - dressed for the weather over Malham Moor
After crossing Moor Lane we veered left at Height Laithe, following Rowley Beck through Cow Close Wood to the caravan park at Wood Nook.
Approaching Height Laithe
A young couple passed us, swinging their trekking poles as they went along. Noting my disgust at such needless gimmicks, my wonderful partner suggested I might well need some in the none too distant future and thought they might make a good present for my 90th birthday!
Trees by Wood Nook. That 'Artist in the sky' may have gone a bit OTT this year
Colours of dying bracken and changing leaves against the boundless blue sky were a sight to behold resulting in countless pictures being taken in hopes of one good one that might implant the memory of the day forever in our minds. We got more than one and yes, they came vividly to mind as I commuted back to Windhover today through dense fog to ramp up the heating and thaw my chilled bones.
Weekly totals:
Running: 5 miles/261ft ascent
Walking: 5miles/758ft ascent


  1. So happy that you're back to running!

  2. Can't keep an old fox down! Glad to see your back out on the hills be it running or walking, still inspiring us all. IanB

    1. ....and last weekend's weather made it all the more worthwhile Ian, shame it couldn't go on for longer. With all this fog I might have to resort to the gym, for heaven's sake!
      All the best.

  3. 70's is way too hot for wearing anything long sleeved or pant like. You must have been roasting!
    Always, I enjoy your photos. The views are unmatched. Stone cottages always look like a good respite too.

  4. We didn't expect it turning out so hot when we set off Raina, not in November, but the weather is full of surprises. Only wish it would surprise us like that more often!
    Have a good run in the Silver Falls race on Saturday. Cheers!

  5. While you enjoyed the heat we had 45mm of rain and snow on the higher mountain... but I'm please to say summer is back in Cape Town!

    I miss you posts the days you have nothing to write about, so best you look after yourself and keep running so we can enjoy your advenures.

    1. Wish I was enjoying the sun in Cape Town. Our heat didn't last long. We've since had thick fog which, perish the thought, forced me into the gym where I was appalled at my deteriorating fitness. I've got work to do....a lot of work, so pictures might henceforth be a bit thin on the ground...
      Cheers Coach!

  6. The weather has been quite unseasonable at times hasn't it!
    Glad to read that you are back to running ... and just love all your photo's.

    All the best Jan

  7. Good to see you're getting back out