Pages

Monday 30 January 2017

Ouch!

      It's not been a good week, not for my camera, my eyes or my broadband connection. They've all conspired against me.  A series of pictures taken in perfect conditions on a dawn run last Thursday were all out of focus.  My old Panasonic Lumix seems none too keen on early morning activities but graciously agreed to take this one picture of Thursdays sunrise. 
Sunrise on a braw morning   (Click pictures to enlarge)
 I've since had words with it, tinkered with its settings and it seemed OK on Sunday's test run.  Here are some I took.
Hebden beck meandering through the village
      Actually, it wasn't a run, it was a walk. This time it was my Rt eye that was out of focus after another of those dreaded triamcinolone injections that didn't go quite right on Saturday.  I reckon most of the tetracaine ran down my cheek instead of into the eye to anaesthetize it. 
Signs of Spring (?) in Hebden Churchyard. 
      Iodine swabs stung like hell and I nearly leapt off the operating table when the needle pierced my eyeball to inject nearly 8 mgms of cortico-steroid, double the usual amount.  High strength Ibuprofen relieved much of the soreness afterwards, allowing me to go into hibernation mode for the rest of that day.  And night.
Hebden's only functional Church - St Peter's
      Church went by the board on Sunday. I was in no mood for company so set off up the ghyll for a solitary walk with my camera. Except it didn't work out quite like that.
Passing Pickering End
   Other people were up the ghyll, friendly souls from the village who were all too damn sociable. I was too polite to tell them to beggar off but gradually out-walked them to spend a couple of hours bumbling around on my own, having strong words with my camera.
..and Hebden Crag

      Fast forward to Monday when I've commuted back home, had lunch, warmed up my den and switched on the computer ready for work.  Except my broadband is playing up and there is insufficient download speed to get my pictures into Google for editing and getting them into my Blog.
..a quick visit to Scala Force
      I phoned Plusnet, my broadband provider, where a guy called Josh seemed more intent on talking me into an upgraded package than sorting out my problem.
...into the rough stuff farther up the ghyll
He later emailed me, blinding me with science about SNR margins and decibels and asking me to switch off my router in 4 hours, then switch it back on and leave it on in order to fix the problem. After ten days it should be OK.  Huh!  In ten days I might have switched to BT.
...across the Miner's Bridge
Some good news at the end of the day - I've managed to edit pictures in Google and get some into my blog.
..and a darkening sky towards end of day
No running shots as we never managed to get out together last weekend with hospital matters on Saturday and consequently in no fit state on Sunday.
Things can only get better...

5 comments:

  1. Hello! These pictures are incredible! It transmits freedom, relax, free time... I love it!
    I have to say that I admire you, your energy, your desire to do things, your vitality! I would like to be like you when I have your age.
    Keep it up! See you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time to start is NOW Sandra and, as you say, keep it up. Thanks for visiting, and for your kind comments. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. "turn off your router for 4 hours and wait 10 days for a decent service." I could get angry over such an obvious fob off. Many members of the public, particularly none technical elders could believe this advice. I wonder if the companies management know that one of their service staff is lying to customers so openly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno whether he was lying or not but unlike others I've dealt with at Plusnet he wasn't very helpful. Download speed is still only 1.91 mbps but that's high enough to work with.

      Delete
  3. That sunrise is awesome, as younger members of the family may say! It is a lovely image. I always enjoy your photographs, so pleased you were able to get some up on the blog.

    Hope you get your Broadband problem sorted.

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete