Pages

Sunday 20 October 2019

Dreams...

Running is currently out of the question, which is hard to take.  It's what I enjoy most, the only thing I'm any good at.  It gives me a time from the world, from Brexit, a time to float along, a free spirit, to forget my age, escape reality, to run for sheer enjoyment with no thought of time nor distance or training schedules. 
 To 'just do it'.
Reduced to walking - temporarily, I hope    (click to enlarge)
An inspirational  C. S. Lewis quote says "You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream" and I wondered just how old he was when he said it?   Well, he died when he was 64 so I don't know whether he'd still say that if he'd lived to 87?
Which just happens to be my age.
I still have dreams, especially after a glass or two of wine,  but at my time of life it's increasingly unlikely they'll  become reality.   Nevertheless, I remain optimistic, always believing that fate, or God, still has something good in store for me, but what it can possibly be will remain a mystery until it happens.  
I like surprises....

10 comments:

  1. Hello Old Runningfox ,it is good to hear from you . I like walking Gordon , and it is nice as well because it takes you into the moors as well . I hope you can start some plodding soon and I would like to see you next year at the top of the hill with that huge flag of yours . After all on the pic you look good . Antonio .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see and read this post from you, and I like the photograph :)
    So sorry to read that running is currently out of the question. Hopefully you may be able to enjoy a walk or two! You certainly have some wonderful scenery around you …
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear that you're unable to run at the moment....although the *are* other things that you're very good at!
    If it's any consolation (and I'm sure it isn't) my running has been severely curtailed since April, so I've half an idea of what you're going through.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd noticed you haven't been nipping round the world or Tally Ho-ing lately JJ. Nothing too serious I hope.
      Part of my problem is that no-one has yet found a cure for old age!
      You take care too...

      Delete
  4. 'Walk for Your Life' - doesn't sound quite right...
    Nor does 'Half a Lung Johnny' sound quite right for that other wreck!

    Hoping you are both back up and running again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I've finished my radiotherapy and all seems to be going well. Should be back running soon - when my wonderful running partner's hip has healed up!

      Delete
  5. Hi Gordon
    It’s Gary from New Zealand.
    Keep your chin up and remember the good runs we had.
    I’ll come and see you in May and we can go for a little jog together?
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you again Gary. Hope all is well with you and yours.
      Look forward to seeing you in May.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  6. hello there Gordon, sorry to read your unable to get out running at the mo, hope that all changes for you soon, you describe the reason we love to run beautifully at the top of your post, couldnt agree more, all the best for the Christmas & new year, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, with any luck I should be running again soon. I'm not an old man yet! Have a great Christmas and all the best in 2020. Cheers!

      Delete