Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2018

Don't ask......

Saturday was wet and dismal so nothing got done in the way of running.  Morning had passed rather too quickly due to commuting, shopping and attending a coffee morning arranged to raise funds for our local Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue team. There were some rather nice biscuits that needed consuming before we could drag ourselves away from the latter event which, I'm told, raised £240. 
Organ in St Peters, Hebden  (Click to enlarge)

As rain persisted throughout the afternoon I rather excelled myself by finishing off the Craven Herald's cryptic crossword as a warm-up to completing both the concise and Phi's cryptic crossword in The I.
Plaque on organ

Problems with my nether regions (don't ask) meant a late start on Sunday.  It was almost 11am when we closed the door, first of all to nip round the corner and photograph the old organ in our local church as part of the National Park's Buildings At Risk survey.  The organ, still in excellent working order, was dedicated to St Peter's Church in Hebden on Easter day, 1894.
Recording bridge repair in 1674
There were two further diversions back home (don't ask) before eventually setting off along the river to Burnsall where more Buildings At Risk photography took place at the old bridge.  It's been repaired on a number of occasions since being built in 1609 and a couple of old inscriptions record two of the dates. One is quite legible, but I couldn't decipher the other.
Keeping cool in the River Wharfe
A parking area in a field over the bridge was filling up with cars, picnickers, canoeists and paddlers. We ran on, surprisingly without yours truly having to avail myself of the toilet facilities there!  Nor had I any money with me for an ice cream.  Boo hoo...
Bistort growing by the river
After a three mile loop around Woodhouse Farm and Appletreewick campsite we headed back home, peep-peeping at weekend walkers blocking the narrow paths by the river.  All were very obliging.  
Hebden suspension bridge and reflections
However, some are not too friendly when squeezing my sweaty body past them on Hebden's narrow suspension bridge, particularly the well built ladies!
By Hebden beck with just a few hundred yards still to run
TomTom said we'd run (with a few scheduled stops) 6.09 miles with 369ft of ascent.  And that, I'm afraid is all the running I did last week.
Don't ask......

12 comments:

  1. I'm afraid we all have days, weeks and even months like that sometimes....I most certainly do (not months though!). I hope your, er, bits calm down sooner rather than later....it's not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the frustrating things we have to cope with as we grow older JJ, but I reckon it's better than the alternative. Well, so far!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. What a cool bridge to cross!!
    Beautiful old organ, bet is sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bridge sways about a bit when we run across....good fun.
      It is indeed a wonderfully toned and powerful organ. Several well known organists have given recitals on it. Sadly, it's only used once a month nowadays. Sadder still, our Chapel is closed forever.

      Delete
  3. you didn't join the girls in the river... I'm always up for a swim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never swum in the River Wharfe. Farther along there's a deep pool under a rocky cliff. Brave guys go tombstoning off it in summer. Two have been killed!

      Delete
  4. Hoping your ‘bits’ make a speedy recovery...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, it comes and goes but I'm OK at the moment and managed an enjoyable 5 mile run this morning.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I do enjoy listening to church organs ... my Dear Dad used to play ... happy memories.

    Always enjoy seeing your photographs.
    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sung hundreds of hymns accompanied by that beautiful organ. Now it's only played on the 4th Sunday of each month.
      I'm struggling to get the hang of a new camera at the moment so pictures might not be that good. Cheers!

      Delete
  6. Dear Old Runningfox your new camera is awesome , the pictures are magnificent beautiful . About walkers blocking the narrow path , and not always moving out of the way when they realize that a runner is coming down their way , and they carry on chatting not caring about anybody else standing their ground and especially if I am in a race and they force me to stop , I get furious and I shout at them to get out of the way . Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Antonio. I'm gradually getting used to the new camera but pictures require more editing.
      Most walkers move out of the way when I say peep-peep but I'd a contretemps with someone on Hebden suspension bridge last Saturday who claimed I was frightening their dog! Cheers!

      Delete