Pages

Wednesday 29 July 2020

Rights of way......

My wonderful partner is currently surveying Public Rights of Way, making sure they're still accessible and all stiles and crossing points still exist so that walkers may pass unhindered.,  It's one of her duties as a Yorkshire Dales National Park volunteer Ranger.  
In mixed weather and lowering skies we set out to do two of these paths.  Judging by their appearance neither had been used for some time though one, from Yarnbury to Hebden Ghyll, had been a favourite of mine in racing days.  The urge to run it again was irresistible.   So I did...
avoiding the reeds
Good stile, poor lambing gate
Getting a bit of speed up
Easy running
Not many runners round here...
Crossing a culvert
Running - with what looks like a tree on my back! 
Sheep thinking "What the hell are they up to?"
The joy of movement
Wait for me...
By heck, I'm enjoying this...a  final sprint as my old body seemed to have taken on a new lease of life.    Just for the day.
That was the end of the first footpath survey.  As anyone can see, it doesn't look much like a right of way but it exists on the map so has to be kept open.

Next day we did the other one, from High Lane to Low Garnshaw, this time as an enjoyable walk for my rickety legs said they'd done enough running.  Occasionally I listen to my body!
Dilapidated building, wall and stile
A bit tight, but accessible 
A muddy cripple 'ole for sheep
View across the Wharfe valley
Continuing, map in hand, along the invisible path
Roe Deer sculpture, a well in the field and we've almost reached the finish. At last, I know where I am.
I'd have run this very pleasant path before but, like many more people, I never knew it existed. Now that it's been surveyed the National Parks people will probably produce a descriptive leaflet to hand out, or sell, to prospective walkers.  I hope not.  
Some places should remain sacred.

8 comments:

  1. It was great to see you in action Old Runningfox and you did it as well with a good running posture . Also in my area there is some footpaths that people have not used for ages and the thick vegetation and the overgrown make it difficult to pass now. I like the new post and the photos are nice . Well done Gordon .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In spite of not being walked for yonks, our routes were quite passable and mainly free of vegetation which made me wish I was running seriously again. They were a delight, especially as my old body granted me permission to run one of them! Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, what a lovely running route, I need to go away for a weekend to find routes without people on them. Table Mountain (even in wet weather) is to full of people these last couple of years, I have to wait for a real storm to have the mountain to myself!
    a little jealous seeing you running, as I tweaked my calf last weekend and have been stuck on the bike since then! (better than nothing, need to stop racing kids half my age!)
    Keep safe and health, looks like CV19 isn't that bad out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's time you started blogging again Coach to give us oldies a bit of inspiration.
      The Yorkshire Dales are beautiful but since the lockdown was eased we've been invaded by senseless hoards having barbeques, burning the grass, leaving tons of rubbish for volunteers to clean up. It was nice to run/walk untrodden paths last weekend with just sheep and birds for company.
      Since my calf muscle problems I've worn Orthoheel ¾ length inserts in ALL my shoes and had no problems since. Of course, you can't wear them with sandals! Happy running..

      Delete
  3. Love the look on those two sheeps faces!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd love to know what the sheep thought of our expressions Jan. Bet they'd look at each other and do whatever sheep do when they laugh!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's years since I heard from you Breandan. How are things? Little Murty will be quite grown up now. Perhaps he has siblings?
      I'm still plodding on, trying to avoid becoming a couch potato like many of my age, some a lot younger.
      Take care and stay safe. Cheers!

      Delete