Pages

Wednesday 24 April 2019

Run or Die......

With plummeting energy levels and having lost a stone in weight I thought it might be a good idea to see a doctor.. 
After listening to my list of symptoms, sounding my chest and discovering my systolic BP was an amazing 248 the young Dr Anwar seemed puzzled as to what the hell was wrong with me so referred me to the experts at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary. 
 "I want you to go home, pack an overnight bag and get yourself to the Ambulatory Assessment Unit as quickly as possible"
So I did.
Various blood tests, an ECG, ultra scans of my renal system, chest X-ray and Computerised Tomography scan identified one or two little problems that will require appropriate medication for the rest of my life. It could cost the NHS a lot of money for I'm not planning on dying for a good few years yet.
A Cystoscopy this coming Saturday afternoon (Three Peaks race day, curse it) and a biopsy of this 'thing' in my Rt ear could prove interesting too!
I mentioned to Alma, as the hospital doctor had introduced herself, that I would probably stop running after my 87th birthday in a few weeks time.  
 "Oh, I wouldn't do that" she said.  
 I may have to have a rethink!
Meanwhile, here is a little video of our Easter Sunday jaunt round Grimwith reservoir.  
You may recognize the tune...called 'Run' by Leona Lewis


How could I possibly stop running?

18 comments:

  1. I would suggest you rather carry on running Old Runningfox , I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your weight and I hope you recover soon from your health issues ,although I just watched your lovely Easter video and to look at your running composure and your powerful stride ,it seems to me that there is nothing wrong with you . Keep on running Gordon . Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Antonio, good to hear from you again. That Easter run was my first in a month and it felt really good - as you can tell by the smiles.
      All the best to you......

      Delete
  2. I agree with Antonio you gotta keep it going, your looking great, another great set of pictures on the video, ive Enjoyed reading your blog for a while now & think you & your good lady are Amazing, keep it going. cheers john from Newcastle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to keep it goig John, it depends whether my body will let me...
      Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Sorry to read about your health issues.
    I always enjoy my visits to your blog and seeing your lovely photographs.

    As you know I'm not a runner (but I do enjoy walking) … I say keep on running …

    I enjoyed your video and music.
    Sending my good wishes to you and your amazing partner.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting again Jan and glad you enjoyed that little video.
      I used to be a walker, then running came along and totally changed my life, all for the better. It could do the same for you!
      Enjoy the Bank Holiday...

      Delete
  4. I think I love your doctor (Alma)...! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alma was the only positive one among the 7 - 8 I've seen. Others weren't sure what to make of me - not being their average 86 yr old patient!

      Delete
  5. Sorry for the health issues but I am sure you will solve all the problems.
    My advice: don't give up and keep on running; this is the best cure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would take miracles to solve ALL the problems that have accumulated over the years Stefano, but I'm coping with them - so far...

      Delete
  6. Nooo! Keep running and writing! Loved the video today, inspirational for us all! Might be slower or not quite as far, but running is great shown by your video !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely slower Ian, and haven't run more than 8 miles recently, but the legs are still strong and the old brain is still willing. Might last a bit longer!
      Sounds like you're running well too...
      Cheers!

      Delete
  7. My best wishes on a good recovery. I also think it's important you keep on running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giorgio, I'll keep running for as long as I can.
      My best wishes to you...

      Delete
  8. I love the attitude and your blog. 2:53:04 for the marathon in your 60s? You, Sir, have my respect. That is a tough time. When is your next race? Continued success to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your kind comments, but no more racing for me - except against father time. I keep on running cos I'm frightened of the old buggar catching me!
      Cheers, whoever you are.....

      Delete
  9. Hello Gordon , I am a bit worried because your last post is from the 24 of April , I hope you are coping in this struggling few weeks for you , and I hope soon to see a new post from you . Stay well Old Runningfox . Antonio .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Gordon, nil carburundum il bastardo (to quote from The Handmaids Tale) with the bastardos being these pesky health issues. You and your lovely lady are my inspirations xxxxx

    ReplyDelete