Pages

Thursday 30 May 2019

Celebrating my 87th......

Against doctor's orders I flew with my wonderful partner to the island of Menorca to celebrate my 87th birthday.   
After being called into hospital on a Saturday afternoon for a flexible cystoscopy I'd fallen out with the doctor who did it for wasting my time.  For one thing, it was Three Peaks race day and I was bladdy annoyed about missing it.
The camera he slid into my bladder was totally unsuitable for exploring the blockage to my Rt kidney.  He said I'd be fast tracked into hospital for another cystoscopy under general anaesthetic within the next few days.
"But I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks until May 18th" I told him.
"You'll have to cancel it, this is urgent and needs doing as soon as possible" he said.
Tough. "As far as I'm concerned, it should have been done today. That's what I was told I was coming in for.  What was the point in me coming to you if you haven't got the necessary equipment?   Anyway, our holiday is booked and paid for, so we're going".
And we did.
My phone was in 'Do not disturb' mode.  Daily missed calls and text messages were deliberately ignored until I got home. 
Anyhow, just to show how ill I was, here are a few video clips of my 87th birthday jaunt that ended with a nice bottle of wine, courtesy of the hotel management, while watching a beautiful sunset from our balcony.
 Make sure you go 'full screen' and have the sound on.
My new appointment still hasn't been confirmed. 
 It had better be quick because we've booked another holiday !

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos Gordon - you are truly a mountain goat! You and your lovely lady are my inspiration xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, you're too kind! Menorca is wonderful country for mountain goats....

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday a little late.
    Still running. Today is my birthday - I'm 68. Hope to still be walking when I reach 87. You are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, and a Very Happy Birthday to you too. Have a wonderful day.
      Love your picture of the Canada geese but I'm a little frightened of Ken driving a tractor over that bridge! Hope it holds and all goes well.

      Delete
  3. Happy 87th, Gordon! What a perfect way (and place) to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, and to get away from all the dreaded hospital appointments.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday. Great blogging. Menorca looks amazing. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Milly. You'd love Menorca, some wonderful empty beaches for wild swimming/skinny dipping......

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday.
    Wonderful photos and the Dido's song is also beautiful. You are an inspiration.
    Enjoy your time in Minorca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stefano, God willing we'll be back in Menorca later this year for more wonderful runs..
      You keep running......

      Delete
  6. Many Happy Birthday Wishes, and Menorca looks the perfect place to celebrate.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. It certainly is the perfect place. It's so beautiful we can't keep away!

      Delete
  7. Best Wishes on your 87th Birthday, Gordon.
    I would have never thought Menorca is a beautiful place to run. Your pictures show wonderful running paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your good wishes Giorgio. I can recommend Menorca if ever you get chance to go. I love those words in the heading of your blog - It's nice to run with no reason and just because you love it. My thoughts entirely...
      Cheers!

      Delete
  8. It is great to see that you Old Runningfox are still very alive and kicking doctors ,I did not know that you had robust temperament in you at the age of 87. Well done Gordon , I am glad that you are back posting good videos ,and your high stride is still there , but please go back to the doctors as soon as you can because you are far too slim , stay well . Antonio .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Antonio. What do you mean, go back to my doctor? I see them every week nearly and none of them have said I'm too thin. I reckon a BMI of 20.9 is good for a man of my age?
      Oh, and a high stride is a necessary requirement when dancing over those jumbled rocks in Menorca - and I don't always make it!
      Keep on running......

      Delete
  9. hope im still running in menorca at 87 Gordon, AMAZING! Loved the video and pics, me and the wife are looking to go back in july, we love it, (running shoes included, ha ha") im 57 now so hopefully lots more years to visit and run there, all the best for your birthday cheers,john

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just another 30 years to go John! Where do you stay in Menorca? We're always in the South, Alcaufar or Sant Tomas both of which give access to some beautiful running country.
      Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Hi Gordon, we've stayed in a few different area's son bou, Arenal D'en castell, S'algar and a favourite of mine was when we stayed at a villa in torre soli nou which is at the top end of son bou some hard hill running been done there. with the use of a car at the villa I used to travel to mahon and use the track occasionally, but your right great place to run, Happy running Gordon cheers

      Delete
    3. We ran to Son Bou a few times from San Tomas last month, just five miles for the round trip, reasonably flat and popular with runners.
      When staying at Alcaufar we do our shopping at S'Algar but run through it too, especially on our Cala de Sant Esteve route which we combine with a swim at Cala Rafalet, our favourite swimming pool! Cheers!

      Delete
  10. Hi Boothy
    Glad to hear you kicking those doctors, keep away from them!
    Maybe we can do castle hill next year as I’m coming over to run the London marathon?
    Gary

    ReplyDelete